The new Peugeot 408 is a testament to the exceptional creativity of the brand's design and engineering team, whose work - a fastback with a unique silhouette - is among the best models of the C-segment.
New Peugeot 408.
The new Peugeot model surprises by being unlike any other car. In addition to its distinctive looks and unique silhouette, it offers a range of electrification and energy efficiency upgrades, and delivers a thrill of cutting-edge technology that enhances driving pleasure and facilitates intuitive driving.
“At Peugeot, we believe that life gets better with style. And it is through its unique styling, innovative fastback silhouette and unleashed elegance that the new 408 perfectly reflects the philosophy and ingenuity of the Peugeot brand,” said Linda Jackson, Peugeot CEO. “Amazing in every way, the new Peugeot 408 is designed for car enthusiasts and life lovers who want to escape certain conventions and at the same time seek responsible pleasure. In this model, they will find Peugeot's inherent commitment to technological excellence in terms of both energy efficiency and high-end digital systems, as well as a great experience for instinctive driving and stress-free travel."
Unique silhouette of a dynamic and innovative fastback
The Peugeot 408 stands out above all for its dynamic fastback silhouette and concept that doesn't fit into any existing category. It also has a unique style. His crouched, cat-like appearance is typical of the brand's models. The sharp lines of the body are harmoniously combined with the body-colored grille, perfectly integrated into the front of the car, with the new Peugeot logo with a lion's head. The surprising shape of the rear bumper emphasizes the unique, dynamic lines of the car. The new Peugeot 408 has a stable silhouette and large 720 mm wheels with impressive 20-inch wheels with an unusual, geometric pattern. Fang-shaped headlights underscore the 408's Peugeot heritage, as do the triple-claw taillights.
The body of the new Peugeot 408 with a length of 4.69 meters and a wheelbase of 2.79 meters surprises with spaciousness in the second row of seats. Provides 188 mm of free space at the level of the knees. The luggage compartment is also very spacious, with a volume of 536 liters, which can be increased to 1,611 liters with the rear seatbacks folded down and the seats folded down. The silhouette of the car is extremely slender and dynamic, and its height is only 1.48 m. This has a positive effect on aerodynamic efficiency.
The new Peugeot 408 will be available in 6 exterior colors:
- Blue Obsession (new color chosen for the model's market debut),
- Gray Titanium (new color),
- Artense Gray (available on Allure trim level only)
- red elixir,
- White pearls,
- Black Pearl Nera.
Exciting driving experience - Peugeot i-Cockpit
The Peugeot 408 offers driver and passengers the latest generation of the Peugeot i-Cockpit®, recognizable by its compact steering wheel designed for maximum driving pleasure and agility. Particular attention has been paid to the quality of the interior, as well as communication with the world through the use of the latest technologies that make driving and traveling even more intuitive and enjoyable.
One of the interior design goals of the new 408 by Peugeot's interior design team was to balance the space between driver and front passenger. The Peugeot i-Cockpit® stays true to the concept of a driver-centric center screen, optimizing driving ergonomics while maintaining the ability to use it and read the information displayed by the passenger.
The center console, on the contrary, is deliberately turned towards the passenger. The curve on the driver's side contains all the controls related to driving a car. The driver can easily select the EAT8 8-speed automatic transmission with a single touch:
- Reverse (R) - riding in reverse gear
- Neutral (N) - transition to the idle position,
- Drive (D) - automatic selection of one of 8 gears depending on driving style, road profile and vehicle load.
The other two buttons allow you to activate the following modes:
- Parking (P) - transferring the gearbox to the parking position,
- The button is present in electric versions Brake (B) allows you to activate the regenerative braking function. In versions with an internal combustion engine, in its place is the "Manual" button (M), which allows you to change gears manually using the paddles on the steering wheel.
In addition, depending on the type of engine, the driving mode switch can be:
- and Sports.
Peugeot i-Connect Advanced
The new Peugeot 408 provides users with a first-class connection to the whole world. The new infotainment system, ergonomic and hassle-free in everyday use, offers each user – according to their skills and preferences – the best of the world of smartphones and the world of cars. Each driver can select and save their favorite information display, ambient light type and other settings. Up to eight different user profiles can be stored in the system memory.
The new Peugeot 408 has a very comprehensive set of latest generation driving aids that receive information from 6 cameras and 9 radars. The systems ensure smooth and safe movement and performance of all maneuvers.
Some of these systems were borrowed directly from the higher segments:
- Active cruise control with stop & go function and adjustable target distance between vehicles,
- Active Emergency Brake Assist that detects pedestrians and cyclists day and night at speeds from 7 to 140 km/h (depending on version)
- Active lane control system with track correction function,
- The driver fatigue detection system, based on the analysis of micro-movements of the steering wheel, detects symptoms of prolonged loss of vigilance at speeds above 65 km/h,
- Advanced system for recognition and display of the following road signs on the digital clock unit (in addition to the standard recognition of speed limit signs): stop, no entry, no overtaking, overtaking prohibited,
- Night vision system that allows you to detect the presence of living beings (pedestrians / animals) in front of the vehicle at night or in conditions of limited visibility. The system can detect them at a distance of up to 200-250 m, outside the coverage area of traffic lights. It signals the presence of pedestrians or animals by illuminating an infrared visibility indicator located in the center of the digital instrument cluster, directly in the driver's field of vision.
- Long range blind spot monitoring system (75 meters).
- Rear Cross Traffic Alert: The system warns the driver of oncoming traffic to the left or right when reversing,
- High resolution rear view camera with 180° field of view with built-in lens washer,
- 360° parking assistance thanks to 4 high-definition cameras (front, rear and side)
- Changing the position of the side mirrors when reverse gear is engaged,
- Matrix LED headlights maximize high-beam power without dazzling drivers of vehicles ahead or approaching in the opposite direction,
- Automatic high beam switching.
We also have at our disposal the Hi-Fi Premium FOCAL® sound system, developed in collaboration with the French company FOCAL, complemented by the ARKAMYS digital sound processing system, consisting of 10 speakers that use unique, patented technologies:
- 4 TNF aluminum inverted dome tweeters
- 4 woofers/midrange drivers with Polyglass diaphragm and TMD (Tuned Mass Damper) suspension with a diameter of 165 mm,
- 1 single-way Polyglass speaker,
- 1 oval subwoofer with Power Flower™ Triple Coil.
Guaranteed energy efficiency: body and engines
The Peugeot 408 powertrain line-up includes two plug-in hybrids with system capacities of 180 and 225 hp. and a 130 hp petrol version. All three are only available with the EAT8 8-speed automatic transmission. The 100% electric version will go on sale in the next few months.
One of the main goals of the designers of the Peugeot 408 was to improve energy efficiency. The cumulative effect of their actions in the form of improved aerodynamics, weight reduction (up to 1396 kg in the lightest version) and reduced exhaust emissions have resulted in a significant reduction in average fuel consumption (pending approval) in this model, both in the hybrid version and the combustion engine version .
Throughout the design and development phases of the new Peugeot 408, one of the key themes constantly at the center of the Peugeot design team has been energy efficiency improvements to reduce fuel consumption and CO₂ emissions.
The new Peugeot 408 offers two plug-in hybrids:
- HYBRID 225 e-EAT8: 4WD / 180 HP PureTech engine (132 kW) in combination with an 81 kW electric motor and an 8-speed e-EAT8 gearbox / pending approval.
- HYBRID 180 e-EAT8: 4 wheel drive / 150 hp PureTech engine combination (110 kW) with 81 kW electric motor and 8-speed e-EAT8 transmission / pending approval.
In both plug-in hybrid versions, the lithium-ion traction battery has a capacity of 12.4 kWh and a power output of 102 kW. Two types of built-in chargers are available: a standard 3.7kW single-phase charger and an optional 7.4kW three-phase charger.
Their estimated load times are as follows:
- from the Wall Box charging terminal (32 A), fully charged in 1 hour 55 minutes using the on-board single-phase charger with a power of 7.4 kW,
- from a reinforced household socket (16 A), fully charged in 3 hours and 50 minutes, using a 3.7 kW single-phase on-board charger,
- from a standard household outlet (8 A) is fully charged in approximately 7 hours 05 minutes, using a single-phase 3.7 kW on-board charger.
An internal combustion engine is also available: a 1.2-litre 3-cylinder PureTech petrol engine with 130 hp. complies with the latest Euro 6.4 emission standard. It is compatible with EAT8 8-speed automatic transmission and Start & Stop system. This version of the engine is under approval.
All engine versions of the new Peugeot 408 are equipped with an 8-speed automatic transmission for a relaxed and economical driving experience.
Peugeot 408 does not offer a diesel version. In the future, this model will be offered in the 100% electric version.
The new Peugeot 408 will go on sale in early 2023.
This is a model created for global markets. It will initially be produced in France at the Mulhouse plant for the European market, and shortly thereafter also in Chengdu, China for the local market.